From Drew  

Posted by Pastor Terry


Mexico is enchanting! Simple as that. Everything, no matter what we are doing, is made better just because we are in Mexico. It is interesting how carefree I can feel here, and how easy going things are made without a watch, my agenda is subject to our hosts. As cheesy as it may sound, Mexico makes me happy. I am enthralled with the view you can get basically anywhere from high places. The buildings and architecture here is amazing! I don’t know what to say other than “WOW” here. I constantly need to remind myself to keep my mouth from hanging open in awe!

As much as I thought the language barrier was going to be a problem, it wasn’t. I was able to have rough communication with the kids at the VBS. They were so willing to do anything possible in order to try and make me understand the Spanish word they were telling me, the majority of their trying involved repeating the word over and over again. I was able to play with the kids and develop relationships despite the odds. The effort is 100% worth it. I have met so many bright, beautiful children who are more sharing and care more for others than I think I ever have been. It is almost sad to realize just how selfish I am when it comes to things I deem to be personal possessions. For them it is a lifestyle, for me, a learning curve. I am looking forward to the experiences I will continue to have here with all the things that we have still yet to do. I am excited beyond measure!

The journey I have experienced so far here has aided in my spiritual development very drastically! Feeling a comfort and openness to speak about things, which are vexing me in my spiritual walk, is a freedom I have seldom felt. Having prayer, worship, and talks about experiences has opened my eyes to the realities of what it means to share. I associate sharing with things that are physical, but there is so much about myself I can share that is far deeper than anything on the surface. I have always had reservations about sharing things, which I actually feel. Moby has been showing me that it is okay to go deeper and show people who I am underneath, which is again for me a learning curve. It would seem that God has sent me here not only to try to teach but more so to learn, I was not expecting this nor was I prepared; guess I need to learn how to learn fast. I feel closer to God by doing my best to serve others rather than being served. It is greater than great to finally understand why it is fulfilling to go out and help children, it is because GOD HAS TOLD US TO DO IT! I cannot feel this same fullness by sitting in a church service and listening to things that often I cannot relate to, God has pushed and pulled so long for me to understand this simplicity.

I am excited for the week yet to come, excited to see what I can do for the people who I encounter. I am excited to see how God is going to continue to work through me. I am excited to see how other will be affected by the work we have come here to do.



This entry was posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 at Friday, July 23, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Just wanted to pass on how proud we are of you and what you're doing. We agree with you that God is great!!! We knew that God would meet each of your team on this trip, it was just a question of how he would present himself and how you each would respond. It will be great to watch each of you upon your return to see how you translate what you've learned in Mexico to your life here in Edmonton.

We continue to pray blessing on you Drew and hope that health issues do not affect you negatively. Keep up your awesome spirit and carry on!!! We LOVE YOU TONS AND TONS.
Mom & Dad

July 24, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Post a Comment