From Megan  

Posted by Pastor Terry


I can’t say enough how much of a blessing it has been to be able to be back here! I have thought and talked so much about my previous trips that it’s a little hard to believe that I have the privilege to be on another one!

The VBS that I was a part of completely exceeded my expectations. One thing that we had discussed during our training and planning meetings was the difference in between hoping and expecting. For this Vacation Bible School we were HOPING for a lot of kids, but expecting about 25. And, there were about 25 kids … in the 11-13 year-old group that I was able to lead with Drew and Alex, out of about 130! My past experiences in serving with kids have mostly been with the around kindergarten-age group, so to be able to be with the older kids was an interesting but awesome change. With this age group, they had more of an understanding that my Spanish was limited, (as oppose to the younger ones who will just ramble on and on, whether you understood or not) so they slowed down a bit, and I was able to have some conversations with them (and hopefully improve on my Spanish!). There was a group of about 8 girls I connected with during the past 4 short days. I don’t feel like I really did a whole lot; I played with them during games, sat and chatted with them during lunch, complemented them on their crafts and attempted to learn their hand clapping games. However, the love and affection they showed me, with the hugs, smiles and notes they gave me at the end, just blew me away. I remember one time in particular where a bunch of them were around me, hugging and pulling me so tightly that I thought we were all going to fall over, and wondering what on earth I had ever done to deserve it. In that moment, with the warmth of their hugs and the sound of their giggles, all I could think was that this was a form of God’s love being showed to me.

I could go on and on, but I don’t think Terry wanted a novel! I will say though that I actually do think about my family (and M+D – Terry read your comment about at least pretending to miss you, during a team meeting and everyone burst out laughing!! I love you! I’ll be happy to see you when I get home J) or co-workers who are reading this! Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers! <3



This entry was posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 at Friday, July 23, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Megan,

That was well short of a novel but thank you for the wonderful update. We know God will continue to use you and the whole team in the days ahead and we're remembering all of you in our prayers daily.

We love you and miss you lots (something we're going to have to get used to very soon anyway). "Buh" says a big hi!

M & D & A

July 23, 2010 at 11:04 PM

you don't know me but I (along with a group from Iowa) served last summer with the Becerra's doing VBS in Huixqui. i do know the feeling u wrote about though when the kids gather around you, hug you, squeeze you, tell you you've become a best friend and you have no idea how such a bond could have developed. at the same time, you feel it towards them too. must be God! :o)

July 24, 2010 at 11:42 AM
Anonymous  

Hi Lena! Thanks for all your comments and encouragements - it's been awesome to hear from you! Christine was reading the comments from one of her first entries, and mentioned you and that you wanted a picture of Obed, Katherine and Lupita. Last Sunday when Katherine took me inside and was showing me a few pictures, I saw a picture of you and your group from Iowa! I don't know if there's a way to connect with you, but I made sure to take a picture of them for you!

July 30, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Post a Comment